Monday, October 12, 2009

UCLA Football to Long Beach Marathon-LA has it all

The weather has turned cool here in Southern California and Pasadena; perfect for everything outdoors. It was perfect for some cycling on Saturday morning and as I was headed down to the Rose Bowl for a few laps, I noticed all of the blockades for the football game. Oregon was in town for a noon game and didn't go away disappointed. Home games at the Rose Bowl always put an extra air of excitement into the normal relaxed hum of Pasadena. People who aren't fortunate enough to have their team play here don't realize what they are missing. To have Old Town Pasadena so close to such a great sporting institution like the Rose Bowl makes for a really great combination; so much to do before, during and after the game.

Home games, however, do not make the best environment for doing laps around the Rose Bowl. I said a quick hello and good-bye to one of the friendly officers helping with traffic, and I was on my way towards east Pasadena. It took me a couple of moments to get my sense of direction back, but in just a few moments I was back on track on Orange Grove Blvd and headed towards the little town of Sierra Madre. Its pretty flat getting out there so not too tiring, however as I was passed up by a more experienced cyclist and I tried to keep up, my legs grew a little tired any way.

After Sierra Madre, I turned it around to Altadena Dr and started the long climb back up the mountain to home. I love living in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, however no matter where I go cycling, I always end it by going uphill to home.

This was a great Saturday morning and the next day would have me going to the city of Long Beach for the marathon; not to run it, of course, but to support a friend who'd spent the last 5 months training for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment